Discovering a large chip or crack in your car’s windshield is never a pleasant experience. In many cases, it’s easy enough to pinpoint the source of the damage, particularly if you’ve witnessed it firsthand. But there are other reasons your windshield glass may become damaged. Here’s a look at some of the top causes of a cracked or chipped windshield—a situation that always demands swift windshield repair in Owensboro, KY:
- Accidents: Not surprisingly, getting into a car accident is one of the most common causes of windshield damage. The nature of the accident certainly has an effect on the extent of the damage, but it’s important to recognize that a windshield that’s already cracked or chipped is more susceptible to serious damage.
- Hazardous road conditions: Driving too close behind the car in front of you is dangerous for a number of reasons, but one that’s often forgotten about is the fact that cars in front of you can accidentally propel rocks, gravel, construction debris and other objects toward your windshield, creating a hazard and likely resulting in damage. Leave sufficient space in front of your vehicle to minimize this risk.
- Bad weather: Weather conditions can wreak havoc on your vehicle—even if it’s parked in your driveway. Strong storms can result in downed trees, fallen branches and the displacement of other objects near your vehicle, potentially resulting in a cracked or shattered windshield. Hail damage has also been known to destroy seemingly perfect windshields. Fortunately, insurance policies can often be used to cover weather-related damage to vehicles.
- Subpar installation: Here’s one that might catch you by surprise. If your windshield was installed by an inexperienced or distracted technician, even the slightest error could lead to an unexpected crack, possibly years after the windshield was installed. Poor installation may also render your windshield more susceptible to damage in the event of an accident or other hazardous condition.
- Vandalism: When it occurs, the results of vandalism are generally pretty obvious. Unfortunately, if you don’t have access to a secured garage, there’s little you can do to prevent vandalism or attempts to break into your vehicle. But again, you may be able to use your insurance to repair damage inflicted during criminal activity.
In these and other situations, seeking windshield repair in Owensboro, KY isn’t just about making your car look nice again; it’s also critical from a safety standpoint. While a small crack may not seem like an urgent problem, waiting to have it fixed can result in further damage down the line. Worse, it can make visibility difficult and potentially lead to an accident. For these reasons, it’s important to act quickly when your windshield has been damaged.
An investment in effective, high quality windshield repair is an investment in your car’s appearance and your own personal safety. To learn more about the process of auto glass repair and replacement, or to schedule any needed auto glass services, contact Auto Vizion Auto Glass & Restyling today. Our team can be trusted for the finest auto glass service in the Owensboro area, and we look forward to meeting your needs!